Thursday, August 11, 2011

A finish and fabrics.

I finally finished the quilt I made for the Modern Quilt Guild Kaufman kona cotton challenge.   The Baltimore Modern Quilt Guild set minimal guidelines, we had to use at least some of each charm square and we could only use solids for the projects.  I happened to have another charm pack so I used both and I also used my scraps in the border.  Let's not revisit the borders ok.  I already posted about that mess, bleh.  


 Since this quilt is baby sized, I didn't want to quilt it too densely, I want it to be soft.  I decided to just stitch gentle waves across the top.  I just stitched pairs of lines and  did it without any plan.  And I like it!! 


You can see it a little better on the back.  I used a multi-colored variegated thread.

Now that I've been home for several days,  the Purple Couch Gang were getting impatient to see the fabrics I brought home with me.  They were getting downright surly so we held a little photo shoot today.  You might think this delicious goldy  yellow is dots but look close, they are shaped like little teardrops.  Cute!


Something has happened to me and I'm going to blame it on the hoedown fabric.  I found myself unable to resist these nutty novelty fabrics.  It's partly the words and phrases and partly because every time I look I see something new.  Chris and I saw a quilt sample at the City Quilter that's a perfect design for fabrics like this.  I'll let you know when I give it a try.  This fabric is for 'damsels' on picking a husband.

Here's a nutty Halloween type print called Ghastlies.  It's hilarious, you really have to keep looking at every inch of it. 

I grew up reading The Adams Family books that my grandmother always had out.  Seriously, look at that little girl's face and tell me those eyes don't scream Adam's Family to you. 

Kitty cocktails.  'nuff said.

 And here is a pile of goodies.  There was a silent auction at the Saturday event at FIT and I won a colorful fat quarter stack.  Thirty nine FQ's AND two half yard panels!!  Yeehaw!

The panels look like this, pictures from fairy tales.   

And there are several of this coordinating print with different background colors.  Won't these come in handy for another batch of baby quilts.

And check this out - two prints in one FQ.  I have 3 of these.

Between 3 and 6 of each of these.   A fun ticket print, something that looks like pez, argyle (love that!), and a wild floral.

A more sedate floral, kind of a retro dot, and some shirting prints in a few different colors.

AND......... there's even more to show off.  Both of the events we went to had goodie bags for us.  Among other fun things, they had a charm pack with 2 coordinating fat quarters packaged up with a pattern.  I got the same fabrics both days which thrilled me.  THEN, my awesome friend Chris got one with the same fabric and gave it to me.  I said, "Oh no, I can't."  But she insisted, said it was her thank you for the weekend.  So I said, "Ooooooh, okay."

As we sat at FIT waiting for Jay and Marianne to hit the runway, I opened up my charms and started looking through the fabrics. Oh my goodness, check out the pale greens! I was going on about how much I loved those greens and another lady sitting there heard me. She showed me that she got  two of the greens for her fat quarters, and asked if I wanted to make a trade.  Wellllll  yeah!!  So I let her pick from my FQ pairs and she gave me these lovelies.   The green is a lot better in person.  I just couldn't get a good representation.   And one of the coolest things is that many of these fabrics have words and letters on them!  I'm in heaven. 

I hope I didn't make you too jealous.  I will now go back to my regular blogging and stop gushing about my adventures.  If it makes anyone feel better,  I still haven't found that durn stepstool.  Grrrrr.

3 comments:

  1. I got quite a haul, too... we are going to have fun at retreat this year (as usual!)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you quilt and am jealous of all the fabrics you have. That is quite a collection with such diversity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I were you, I'd keep a close eye on those fabrics - they may end up with the step stool!

    ReplyDelete