Sunday, May 22, 2011

Why, Hello!!

Shame, shame, shame on me!  I'm such a neglectful blogger.  I am so sorry.  Life is just getting the best of me these days.  I have been sewing and creating.  Can I show you?  Not much.  How is the SSP going, you ask?  It's getting there.  I am very pleased but I have to get a final border on it.  Have you ever worked hard on a quilt and thought, wow! This is going to be a great size, and then you measure it?   I was starting to think the SSP was going to be a nice bed quilt but, actually, it's barely a twin.  Phooey!  Anyway, I'll boost it's size a little but it won't be quilted by Wednesday.  Wednesday is G Day (graduation day).  So stay tuned friends and I promise a nice reveal by the end of the week. 
While you wait for a glimpse of my 'masterpiece', I will share some random photos.  This is my chubby cat, Chester (Chet for short).  He sleeps a lot, lol, and I think it's amazing that he was able to get up onto this.  I'm also grateful that he didn't knock my fancy ass Reliable Digital Velocity iron onto the floor.  He would have been in BIG trouble. 


It's a fact that cats always make themselves at home in an inconvenient spot.  This is my ironing surface.  I have to keep a sticky roller handy before I can iron anything.  Rosie is our smallest cat, she's a manx (no tail).  Both of these cats are so darn SWEET.  Mellow and friendly to all.  Rosie would be perfect if she wasn't a hunter who feels compelled to gift us with her trophies on the doormat.  Ick! 



Hmmm?  Not telling.  Sorry.


This is my friend's butt.  I was admiring her pants and told her that they really made her butt look good.  So I decided to take a picture to show her, lol.  I won't mention her name though but, seriously, isn't that a great butt?

My design wall.  Yesterday I practiced some SSP avoidance (or burnout).  I belong to the fledgling Baltimore Modern Quilt Guild and we are participating in the Robert Kaufman Kona Cotton charm pack challenge.  We voted and chose the classic colorway and I already had a charm pack of darks.  I combined the two and this is what I have so far.  Each of these little blocks is 4 inches.  I haven't sewed them together yet.  If I want it bigger, I could sash them, but I like the way this looks.  Guess I'll have to ponder some border action.   I shudder to say this but I might be starting to enjoy borders.  Aaack!  Ptew!  Eeeeeeeks!  I need to go take my temperature or lie down or something.....................


This morning I did some more avoidance and played with these triangles. 

 
This is the layout that I had planned for them, but it wasn't doing it for me.  I actually have 4 or 5 rows sewn together and I plan on picking them apart.  Nutty, huh?  As far as I'm concerned, it's better than making a quilt I don't like or creating another UFO.  I'm actually sorry that I cut so many of these triangles.  Oh well.


So,  this is my design wall today.  The big project I should be working on is marinating in a bag on the floor and I need to get ready to go to work.   Let's hope the operating room is quiet this Sunday evening.  One of my girlfriends from work broke her leg this weekend and ended up as a patient in the OR where she works.  That's a bummer for sure!!  I wish I had a finished quilt for her.  Remember those 'just because' quilts I always talk about?  THIS IS WHY I NEED THEM!!!!  Now I'll just have to take her a potted plant or some other dumb thing to brighten her hospital room. 
So what do you do for last minute gifts?  Do you keep a stash of quilts handy?
 

4 comments:

  1. I really like the triangle quilt set as actual triangles. It's pretty and very striking.

    Im seeing a lot of solids being used for quilts lately. Yours looks wonderful. Quilting, like anything, has trends doesnt it. I even jumped on the bandwagon and am planning a solids quilt later this year.

    I hope your friend has a speedy recovery. I need a quilt gift stash too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you are working on...I would rather unpick & be happy than generate another UFO too.
    The solids look interesting...hope your friend is improving...and that butt is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the solids project you posted, I just did 2 days with Gwen Marston and one was working with solids. My first venture. I hope you got your hours cut back and find the balance, it's so important. I just revisited your red/white photos, wow was that spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousMay 24, 2011

    Gosh.... everyone seems to be avoiding the butt topic.....

    ReplyDelete