Monday, February 28, 2011

       I did some sewing this weekend.  Wanna know why?  Last week I finally gave up on the sewing 'studio' arrangement.  It was not working and I just couldn't get anything done.  So I took an hour one day and broke it down.  Guess what?  Less is more.  I promise some pics soon, hopefully before and after.  The new space is much more motivating and I got busy.
     I got this put together this weekend.  It's a pretty good size.  It's 66 by 80 without any borders yet.  I think it would have looked beautiful set on point but since I already had the sashings and corner blocks cut, I went with this.  I love the green sashing, I think it's called cactus or asparagus.  Still waiting for my color card to get here.  And isn't that red block jarring?  It's not as bad in person but I wish I'd picked it out as one of the blocks for the back.                                                  

Then I played with some applique.  I got this Don't Look Now pattern called Peak Hour and wanted to play with a few of the designs.  These are on cloth diapers for 'spit rags', aka burp cloths.  I haven't sewed them down yet but they really make me smile.  And I have enough pregnant friends at work to find homes for these.                                                                                                                    

I saw a tutorial recently that took a 9 patch block and cut it diagonally twice.  So I thought I'd try it.  I made two 9 patches using charms squares. (I cut some charms into four 2 1/2 inch squares).  This is a good example of the impact of seam allowances.  It took four and a half 5 inch squares to end up with 2 five and 3/4 inch blocks!  I didn't look up the tutorial, I thought I would remember it.  However, I don't think this is how they were supposed to go together.  Too bad, I like them anyway.

But wait!  There's more.  Last night I had a little playtime and made some wonky churndash.  These were fun and easy.  I am not crazy about the 'thick' sides so next time I will avoid that. 
PS - my fabric diet is OVER!!  Hot diggity dog.  Over the weekend I pre-ordered a mess of Sherbet Pips. I love that line and I think it's going to sell out right and left.  I also went to the local JoAnn's yesterday and picked out some fabric for a backing for my red and yellow quilt.  It is SO cute.  I'll show you tomorrow.  And I'll show you the kona solids that I got for my birthday too.   Buh bye!


  1. Lisa, I like your diagonally cut nine patches. I've never seen that before. I'm going to try it!
    JoAnne in so. California

  2. I can't wait to see what you have been working on. The new fabric line from moda is adorable. I might have to make a scrub top out of the red one. Your burp clothes are just so cute. Can't wait to spend time with you and have some fun! Steph

  3. sherbet pips. drool! i am banned from fabric purchases right now, but i think that line is divine!