Friday, September 21, 2012

Taking Manhattan!

Last weekend I went to New York City with my two great quilting pals, Janet and Chris.  Lots of fun and shopping.  We went to the fabulous Quilters Take Manhattan, a fundraiser for the Quilt Alliance.
How cute is this little packet of Mistyfuse that we got in our goody bags?  It has two yards in it, whoooeeeeee!
 
 
 
We got to see an interview with Denyse Schmidt by Megan Cox for the Q.S.O.S  project by the Quilt Alliance.  Check out the left side of this photo, doesn't Denyse look so chill and relaxed as she gets introduced by the irresistable Amy Milne? 
 
 
It was really fun and interesting to learn more about her.  She has done a lot of different things in her life and she is so so talented.  I love her quilts and fabrics.
 

 
There were some of the quilts from her newest book on display.  Seeing them up close was a real treat.
 

 
This one is the cover girl!  Isn't she pretty?
 


 
Try to look close at this quilting.  She used this design on several of the quilts and I love it.  In fact, I plan to copy it right away when I start quilting my Great Granny Quilt later today.
 

 
Hello Pickle Dish!  I love your background fabric.
 

 
Guess who else we got to meet?  Jennifer Chiaverini of Elm Creek novels fame.  First of all, I always pronounced her name Chee-a-ver-een-ee, but it's actually Shiv-er-een-ee.  Second of all, she is hilarious.  A very entertaining speaker.  She is up to 20 novels.  I know I've read a lot of them but I think I may have fallen behind.  Time to hit the library.
 

 
The Alliance has an annual quilt contest and auction as a fundraiser.  This year the theme was 'Home is where the Quilt is.'
Many of the entries were on display.  This was one of my absolute favorites. 
 

 
I just love goody bags.  It's so much fun to poke through them and see what's there.  We got 4 ten inch squares of Denyse Schmidt's new fabric line,  Chicoppee.  I love that gorgeous blue and lime print, it makes me drool.  And by the way, we went to two events so we got two goody bags.  That equals 8 squares of Chicoppee,  woot woot!
 

 
But wait, there's more.  Two big charm packs of gorgeous Cotton Couture solids.  The little squares on top were samples that were stapled onto Cherrywood postcards.  I am so in love with Cherrywood that even 2 inch squares are a big treat. 
 

 
We also got Aurifil thread in our bags.
 AND, there is a silent auction every year.  I love the challenge of bidding etc.  There were 2 sets of Spoonflower fabric designed by the Alliance with their logo on it.  I bid on both and won this one.  I like these colors but have to admit that the other set was prettier.  The same person was bidding against me for both sets and I finally just bid on one of them so she would let me have it.  She paid more for her set, hee hee.
 
There were also 3 sets of Cherrywood fabrics.  I was delirious with excitement and plopped some bids down on all of them.  The competition was fierce and the bids stacked up.  Then I had a revelation!  One of the sets had fat quarters AND 3 one yard pieces, the others only had fat quarters.  Big value difference and I won.  If you have ever seen (and felt) Cherrywood in person, then you know that this picture doesn't do it justice.  The colors are so rich and beautiful.  
 
In my last post I promised you a peek at the Stof fabrics I have.  Here you go, aren't they pretty?
 

 
I really love these fabrics and the pink is the best.  Of course I wish I had more of it.  After I show you all the goodies that I got at City Quilter while I was in New York, you will know why there is no more Stof in my near future.  I think I saw some smoke curling up off my credit card!  I will show you all of my goodies in my next post.
 

 
For now, I need to get to this.  My Great Granny has been sandwiched and pin basted for over a week and I need to start the quilting.  The Wild Threads are getting together tomorrow evening and we will be showing all of our 'grannies' and taking pictures. 
 

 
Maybe I'll take some sangria along to the Great Granny Quilt unveiling.  Sounds like a good idea doesn't it?
Until next time, peeps.  Adios!

3 comments:

  1. ooooooh, so yummy. I signed up for an at home ticket, so I'm getting one goody bag. glad to see a sneak peak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. U sound like a real quilter!! Squealing with delight over fabric...such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm so jealous! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete