Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Another Quilt along!

Listen up now,  this one is a no-brainer.  Jennifer at Ellison Lane Quilts is hosting a quilt along using
your SCRAPS!  That's right, you can just sort out your scraps by color and get started.  Her blog had links to lots of other blogs with quilters showing how they sort their scraps.  Oy!  Oy!!  I have sorted my scraps a couple or ten times and it's a chore.  Therefore, anything that promises to use some up is heaven to my ears, or eyes,.......whatever.  
So what constitutes a scrap?  See this bag?  It was full before I sorted my scraps.   Now it's only 3/4 full.  Ugh, is that progress?


 On one of the blogs, I saw someone's scraps sorted by color and stored in mason jars.  How pretty!  And gosh aren't mason jars popular these days.  I had a dozen quart jars just sitting around so I thought I'd use them.  I didn't really get the colorful and cool decorative look I was going for, and they weren't really big enough.  Is this what quilters do when preparing for the apocalypse?   Preserve their stash in mason jars for the storm cellar?   Who knew I had more green scraps than any other color?  From the left I have 2 greens, 1 half full teal,1 lights (white/off white), 1 purply mixes, 1 yellow, 1 pink, 1 red, 1 blue, 1 orange, 1 tans/browns, and another blue.  And my scrap bag still looks full!  That stinks.  Most of what I left in the bag was in baggies.  Leftover bindings, lots of squares in different sizes, and odd blocks and strip sets. 

 
But what about these?  This bin is full of 2 and a half inch strips.  Many have had little bits cut off so they aren't full WOF.  They are sort of scraps aren't they?
 
 
And these?  I keep my fat quarters on these Ikea CD shelves.  It is a rare FQ that I pull out that doesn't have a piece cut out of it.  Kinda scrappy dontcha think?  I don't even want to look in the closet because I can always find a few plastic tubs with UFO's and a bunch of scraps that go with the UFO.  I always think I'm going to piece a great border so I keep the leftover fabrics together with blocks or a top.  Most of my UFO's are that way because of my 'border neuroses'.  Do you think there's a pill for that?  I need one.
 
So this Scrappy Stash quilt along is scrappy improv log cabin blocks.  Each block will be a different scrappy color.  I figure I'll just pull down a jar (or 2) and piece a block.  I have a button up on my sidebar if you are tempted to scrap bust along with me.  Jennifer is going to have prizes too!  Yeehaw!


No comments:

Post a Comment