Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Wild Thread Mystery Row Quiltalong Row 2 !!

Are you a Wild Thread?  Do you have any wild threads?  Have your threads gone wild?  Join in if you want.  My mini group (called the Wild Threads if you haven't guessed already),  is having a low stress, simple quilt along. It's a row quilt.   It's supposed to be a mystery but I have a big mouth, loose lips, and a hard time keeping secrets.  I have shared some of my ideas for blocks, but I have also come up with new ideas.  There may still be a surprise or two for those I have blabbed to.
  You can find Row One of the WTMRQ here.
And now,  a tutorial for the block for Row Two!
The cutting instructions are for the entire six blocks for the row.
 
From your background fabric, cut 6 each of  the following pieces:
1 and 1/2 inches by 2 and 1/2 inches
1 and 1/2 inches by 3 inches
1 and 1/2 inches by 3 and 1/2 inches
1 and 1/2 inches by 6 and 1/2 inches
1 inch by 2 inches
2 inches by 2 and 1/2 inches
3 inches by 2 and 1/2 inches
3 inches by 4 and 1/2 inches
2 inches square
3 inches square
3 and 1/2 inches square
Also, cut 12 of 1 and 1/2 inches by 2 inches
From your focus fabrics, cut 30 two inch squares.  There are 5 of these in each block.   You can make them the same in each block or assorted in each block.  I am making mine assorted for this first block, BUT I reserve the right to change my mind. 
 
 
The picture above shows you my little scribbly diagram that I made using graph paper.  I used my colored pencils so I could get an inkling of how the block might look.
 
 I put the block together in 9 segments.  Starting in the top left is segment 1.  Sew a 1 inch by 2 inch background piece to one side of a focus square.  To the left  long side, attach  a 1 and 1/2 by 2 and 1/2 inch piece of background.   Along the bottom edge, sew  a 1 and 1/2 inch by 3 inch piece of background.  You will almost circle the focus square.
 Segment 3 is the top right corner of the block.  Sew a 2 inch background square to a focus square.   Add a 1 and 1/2 inch by 3 and 1/2 inch background piece to the right side. 
 
Using the above picture as a guide, and a 3 and 1/2 inch background square as segment 2 in the middle, put together the above row. 
 
 
Segment 4 is a 3 inch background square on the  left.  Segment 5 is created by sewing a 1 and 1/2 inch by 2 inch background piece to the bottom of a focus square.  Segement 6 is a 3 inch by 4 and 1/2 inch background piece.  Sew these 3 segments together as above.
 
 
The last row of the block  is shown above.  Segment 7 is made by sewing together, in this order, a 1 and 1/2 inch by 2 inch  background piece, a focus square, a 2 inch by 2 and 1/2 inch background, and last a focus square.   Segment 8 is a 1 and 1/2 inch by 6 and 1/2 inch background piece sewn to the bottom of segment 7.   Segment 9 is a 2 and 1/2 inch by 3 inch background piece to complete the row. 
 
Put the 3 rows together and .....................wah lah!  The block for row 2. 
 
Hopefully,on Friday I will finish the blocks for this row as well as the row for my alternate fabrics.  I couldn't make a fabric decision for this quilt so I seem to be making two at the same time.
 
I know this row is a little 'fiddly' with lots of pieces but I plan to chain piece the rest of the blocks and I don't think it will take long.
Get busy quilters!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Lisa! Now I have to decide on which fabric to put where! :)

    ReplyDelete