Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Snob (noun) - one who tends to rebuff, avoid, or ignore those regarded as inferior.

Snobbishness.... snobbery.... being a snob.... acting snooty or hoity-toity.... being a complete snootypants. It's all so easy. I don't think it's very nice to be a snob but it is a character flaw of mine that I struggle with. I fight the urge, and when I fail, I at least try to hide my dark side.
My mom taught me how to knit when I was a kid. Knitting is for sweaters, sassy scarfs, intricate intarsia and fair-isle designs, striped socks, Christmas stockings, and oh-so-snuggly baby sweaters. Knitting is cool, hip, and classic. Crochet is not. Crochet is for grannies, retirees, afghans, and toilet roll covers.
So why have I just begun to crochet? Well, first I stumbled across Beata, who has a blog called rosehip. She makes wonderful things including gorgeous, tasty, colorful, and just plain precious pillowcases with crocheted trims. I drooled over these cases for a while and then Cassie at You Go Girl posted a tutorial for these fantabulistic cases. It has been a slippery slope ever since! So far, I have only made these two cases. I think the cotton yarn I used is a little thick for this project.

It doesn't have the lacey quality that I had hoped for and it is a touch 'bunchy', but I still love it. Of course, yarn is like fabric. You can never have too much. I started with the Sugar'n Cream (isn't that a great name?). Yesterday I bought two colors of the Royal crochet thread. I want to see how the thinner thread/yarn looks. I also now have 3 different sizes of crochet needles. Mmmm, actually I think they are called 'hooks'.

Oh gosh!! Look! It seems I also bought a book. So far, I haven't really been able to figure out the directions, but I also had a little trouble with Cassie's tutorial. I didn't know what a 'double crochet' was or how to do it. Don't you just love Google? A couple of clicks and I had a video tutorial of the double crochet stitch. Ta-daa!

I have already pulled some more fabrics out to make more cases. I hope Macy's, Kohls, Target or SOMEBODY has a sale on pillows soon. It would really help me out. Did I really need a new passion? I think not. Thanks Beata and Cassie!

4 comments:

  1. We can never have enough pillows, or musical instruments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's not to love about the hook? You have done a great job so far, can't wait to see what you create with those new pretty yarns.
    Enjoy you new passion?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have thought about using pearl cotton on those pillowcases....

    ReplyDelete
  4. so you are gonna teach me how to crochet right?

    ReplyDelete