Sunday, August 1, 2010

Play, play, play!

Man oh man! I could only look at these for so long before I just had to cut them up! So the playing began. I took some cues from Liberated Quilting and just started chopping and sewing. I tried not to have too many straight lines, I wanted angles. I had no plans for where this was going but once I had a bunch of wonky strips, decisions had to be made.

I have always wanted to make a Chinese coins quilt so I borrowed that general idea and came up with this. It's not very big and definitely needs more work. I have a history of getting lazy when I get to this point. I'm not always crazy about making borders. BUT, I now have Judy Laquidara's book, Weekend Quilts. I've mentioned this book before. It's my new 'go to' source for border ideas. Judy makes awesome borders.
Ta-dah!! This top border is what I came up with. And yay! My math worked out. I'm foundation piecing these blocks so it's a little time consuming. It will be a while before I get them all the way around but I really like the look so far.

It all started with a few minutes of playing around and now I'm headed for my new favorite quilt. Sadly, I have to go back to work tomorrow after a week long staycation. Boo hoo!
Have a great week peeps!


1 comment:

  1. Your quilt looks amazing for something which started without direction. Love the way the border is coming together.
    Must see if I can find a copy of that book.

    ReplyDelete