Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Our Big Weekend!!

Mr. and Mrs. 9patch just celebrated a fabulous milestone. Our 25th wedding anniversary! Can you guess where we went to celebrate? Oh yeah, we had a fun, fun, fun weekend in New York City. Friday morning Jon and I hopped on a Megabus and set out for our big adventure. We caught the tail end of the big rain and our umbrellas came in handy, but we didn't let it stop us. We had our map and a serious determination to learn the subway system. What a blast, we can't wait to go back. On Saturday, we did some sightseeing since neither of us had ever gone to the Statue of Liberty. The ferry was fun, the view was gorgeous, and the most hilarious thing of all happened at the end of the ride.
You can't tell from this picture but the ferry was ROCKING like crazy and the crewmembers had to stop letting people off. I had just LEAPT onto the gangplank and made it to the dock when they stopped everyone. You can see my hubby on the far right waiting his turn. As the boat rocked with the waves, the gangplank banged and flopped around like crazy.
I was with another wife on the dock waiting for her husband and we were giggling and waving at the boys. We stayed at the Roger Williams Hotel and it was lovely. Can you guess why I picked this hotel? As soon as I saw the pictures of the rooms and each bed had a beautiful quilt, I booked us in.


All of the decor was bright and colorful and modern. Check out this cool light in our room. Can you see our little terrace? I was very excited about that. We were on the 14th floor and the views were great but you had to stand and look over the high wall. I guess they don't want us to fall off.




This was our view. It's either Madison Ave. or 31st St. I'm not sure which.





Check out this carpet! It's in the hallway outside of our room. Hmmmm? Some quilty inspiration don't you think?




So we totally used the subway system, never took a cab, and did lots of walking. We went to see the Flying Karamazov Brothers on Friday and then saw Laura Linney in the play, Time Stands Still, on saturday. Loved them both. We poked around Soho, went to Ground Zero, and I managed to visit TWO quilt shops. The City Quilter was just wonderful and I got some lovely solids there, and Purl Soho was the source for some great organic cottons. I also got some very cool stuff in another Soho shop. I'll share photos of my loot in my next post.

Twenty-five years ago I married a wonderful man and I would surely do it again. Seriously folks, he went to two quilt shops and waited patiently while I hemmed and hawwed (? is that spelled right?) over my purchases. He did get to spend some time playing in the Sam Ash music store, but not as much time as I spent fondling fabric. I've been catching up on the laundry and housework but have found a little time to work on my Halloween quilt. The applique rows are time consuming but the spiders are so cute. I will catch you up on my progress very soon. And very very soon, I plan on chopping into some new fabric and popping out a new quilt. Believe it!!





5 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! What a great way to celebrate.

    BTW-I L-O-V-E that colorful quilt! Did it come home with you? Just kidding :0)

    Anway, Congrats!
    Stefanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Silver Wedding Anniversary!

    Wow! What a trip! I'm going to have to make it over there one of these days! Love both the throw and the carpet, inspiration indeed!

    Look forward to seeing your haul!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary, Lisa! What a great trip! I like what you said about surely marrying that wonderful man all over again. I feel the same way about my husband of 38 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary, Lisa! Love NYC and am thoroughly jealous that you went to Purl!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like great fun! Happy anniversary. NYC looks great & the hotel is perfect.

    ReplyDelete